THREE SESSIONS — NINE SPEAKERS
Join Us in Philadelphia.
The program includes three sessions covering issues unique to the region, including innovative building skins, high performance facades, and the future face of Philadelphia. These well-rounded, expert dialogues will inform and inspire.
The Facades+ conference series is a robust dialogue encompassing all things building skin—bridging the profession, industry, academia, operations, and ownership. We’ve distilled the best of the Facades+ 2-day event into a quick-take morning forum with a strong local flair. Facades+AM is coming to Philadelphia for the first time this September.
- AIA Members
- Architecture Students and Faculty
- Building Envelope Specialists
- Construction Professionals
- Materials Specialists
Matthew Krissel | Partner | KieranTimberlake
- Facade Futures: Computation and the Amplification of Design
- Beyond Form, Data, and Metrics: Envelope Performance in Context
- Philadelphia’s Design Trajectories: Growing Beyond Center City
The rapidly developing technology of high-performance facades has emerged as the key to building integration, and central to the realization of resilient buildings and a sustainable built environment. The building skin combines attributes of appearance and performance like nothing else in architecture. There is much to discuss. We invite you to join the conversation as we bring this forum to Philadelphia, PA.
- Matthew Krissel
- Co-Chair | Partner
1. Facade Futures: Computation and the Amplification of DesignComputational design leverages new ways of thinking and making to expand creative potential. This amplification of the design process can catalyze imagination, drive meaningful exploration, and create new possibilities in architecture. Panelists examine how current computational practices go beyond optimization, form-making, and analysis to more exploratory ways for designers to iterate and envision building envelopes in transformative projects.
- Brian Ringley
- Senior Researcher
- Shanta Tucker
- Associate Director
- Atelier Ten
- Christopher Connock
- Design Computation Director
- Kieran Timberlake
- Efrie Friedlander
- Environmental Researcher
- Kieran Timberlake
2. Beyond Form, Data, and Metrics: Envelope Performance in ContextArchitecture drives design aspiration towards the productive fusion of environmental performance, function, and poetics. Panelists discuss how to expand the definition of performance to also include the physical and phenomenological qualities with the way envelopes shape the human experience to create a sense of place, desire, and cultural identity.
- Tom Kirk
- Bohlin Cywinski Jackson
- Jeff Goldstein
- Petar Mattioni
- KSS Architects
- Jon McCandlish
- Kieran Timberlake
3. Philadelphia’s Design Trajectories: Growing Beyond Center CityIn the past 15 years, Philadelphia has seen rapid growth and evolution in design and construction across multiple scales. As a new blend of quality and purpose emerges throughout the city, designers can help shape projects towards beautiful, enduring, and ethical architecture. This panel will discuss the challenges and opportunities associated with this growth as it relates to scale, materiality, and vitality and the role of architecture in creating a vision for the city of Philadelphia.
- Scott Erdy
- Erdy McHenry Architecture
- Eric Oskey
- Moto Designshop
- Danielle DiLeo Kim
- Locus Partners
- Fátima Olivieri
- Kieran Timberlake
Join the dialogue!
Event Venue & Hotel
- Forum Location:
National Museum of American Jewish History101 South Independence Mall East(Corner of 5th and Market Streets)Philadelphia, PA215–923–3811Directions
433 Chestnut StreetPhiladelphia, PA267-386-9433All reservations must be made by August 25, 2017.Special rate for The Architect’s Newspaper Facades+ attendees: $169/night plus tax & incidentals.
- Parking: The Museum will provide validation for Bourse Garage only. The Museum does not have its own garage. There are numerous lots and garages, as well as metered street parking in the immediate vicinity. Parking for Attendees, Exhibitors & Speakers Bourse Garage (400 Ranstead St.) – 1 block from Museum Entrance: 4th St. bet. Chestnut & Market Sts. next to movie theater Up to 8 hrs.: $9 with validation sticker provided at event registration FOR EXHIBITORS ONLY – FOR LOAD IN 6:15 am morning of event Mon. Sept. 25 Vehicle unload at side of Museum along Ludlow Street. Buzz Delivery Door entrance on Ludlow by Loading Dock. Map
- SPONSORS CAN SET UP ON SUN. AFTERNOON & MON. MORNING 2 – 4 pm Sun. Sept. 24, day before event and/or 6:15 am Mon. Sept. 25, morning of event
- Vehicle unload at side of Museum along Ludlow Street. Buzz Delivery Door entrance on Ludlow by Loading Dock.
- IMPORTANT: HOLIDAY CLOSURE SCHEDULE AFFECTS SHIPPING EXHIBITS TO PHILLY MUSEUM Because of the Museum’s limited hours during Rosh Hashanah on 9/20, we strongly suggest that all your packages arrive on Tues., Sept. 19th. That way, there are a few days around the holiday to track packages in case there are unforeseen delays. Keep your tracking info.!
- Your deliveries can be made the following dates and times:
September 18 8am – 4pm September 19 8am – 4pm BEST DATE FOR PACKAGE DELIVERY September 20 8am – 2pm September 21 NO DELIVERIES – MUSEUM WILL BE CLOSED September 22 8am – 4pm
- Will I receive confirmation of my registration?
Yes, once we have processed your registration and payment, you will get an email confirmation detailing your registration.
- Do I need to bring my registration confirmation to the conference?
Yes, it’s always a good idea.
- What do I need to bring if I registered as a Student?
Bring a current student ID card with your photo and present it when checking in.
- When do I get my badge and/or event tickets?
Badges will be provided at check-in at the site on the day of the event.
For attendee, programming, and sponsorship information, contact us below.
The Architect’s Newspaper
21 Murray St, 5th Fl.
New York, NY 10007
[contact-form-7 id=”1784″ title=”Facades+AM sponsorship form”]
Upcoming Facades+ Conferences
Facades+ Los Angeles — October 19+20, 2017
Facades+AM Seattle — December 8, 2017
Past Facades+ Conferences
Facades+ 1 Day Boston — June 6, 2017
Facades+ New York City — April 6+7, 2017
Facades+AM San Francisco — December 7, 2016
Facades+AM Kansas City — September 15, 2016
Facades+AM Boston — June 17, 2016
Facades+AM Washington DC — March 10, 2016
Facades+AM Seattle — December 4, 2015
Facades+AM Houston — June 18, 2015
Facades+AM Washington DC — March 5, 2015
Facades+AM Seattle — November 11, 2014